Wine, as we know, is the most popular and preferred beverage all around the world. Its aroma and flavor is truly irresistible for many of us. It is the only drink which brings grace and smile to any party. Opening a wine bottle is an important serving etiquette. Though it may seem easy yet it can be difficult. You might spoil the mood of your party, if you are not successful in opening the wine bottle the proper way. Even a slight carelessness or haste from your side may break the cork easily, especially if you are using wrong accessories. However, if you want to become an accomplished wine opener then all that you need is a right type of opener and a little practice. The steps given below are in context with a double action or wing cork screw that has two arms on its sides.
Complexity level: Basic
Time required: 5 minutes
Estimated cost: Nil
- Wine bottle
- Wing cork screw
1. Remove the top of the lead
The top of the lead is also known as the foil capsule and removing it is the first step. First of all, raise the arms of the cork screw such that the pointed edge comes into your reach. Now with the help of this pointed edge, cut the top of the lead or foil capsule. As an alternative method, you can also remove the whole capsule by making a slit in the foil.
2. Insert cork screw inside the cork
- Place the wine bottle on a horizontal surface. Now lower the arms of the cork screw and then place the pointed edge of it at the center of the screw.
- Hold the wine bottle firmly with your hand and then rotate the corkscrew in the anticlockwise direction and at the same time continue applying pressure on it such that with each turn, the cork screw penetrates deeper into the cork. If the cork screw is not piercing the cork, then apply more pressure on it.
- You will notice that with each turn, the arms of the cork screw are raising. Continue this process until the arms become horizontal and the screw gets well into the cork.
3. Pull out the cork with cork screw
- Now put both of your hands on each of the arm and push them down, this way the cork will come up with the screw. Wrap your hands over the screw and then carefully pull it out along with the cork.
- If you haven’t removed the coil in the first step then remove it now and twist the cork off the screw.
4. Serve the wine
Now the bottle is open and you can serve the wine. But before serving, wipe the mouth of the bottle with a clean damp cloth to make sure that small pieces of cork are not left behind.
Frequently asked questions:
If the cork will break away while opening up, will it destroy the wine?
NO, it doesnât as even within bottle wine is always in contact with cork as it is stored horizontally, Thus even if some part of cork falls in wine during opening the cork, it doesnât matter too much, but it can matter for you aesthetically.
- When you are choosing the cork screw, then prefer that one which has a long screw.
- The taste of the wine may not change if the pieces of cork gets into it, but it can affect your health. Therefore you need to exercise precaution.
Things to watch out for:
Wine bottles are always stored horizontally; if it is not the case with your wine bottle then have it tilted upside down for at least 30 seconds. This is because when the bottle is horizontal the the wine remains in contact with the cork. However, if it is not then it becomes brittle and may break while opening.